Antivirus for home and for work use
What is the best antivirus? There's no a such one leader in this list. Each of antivirus is good in its own way and has something bad. How commandment we have been teaching that we can not work without antivirus either at home or at work. But actually possible without it. I'm working on Windows without antivirus and reinstall the operating system never had. After some years of work, I understand that the antivirus is designed for those who are not confident with their knowledge of computer security. I share my experiences to fill the gaps in your knowledge.
I became an adult not at once, about 5 years I worked with Antivirus and tested a lot of anti-virus software. Sometimes the impact of antivirus software to the computer system was even worse than viruses do, here are some real facts from my practice:
- AV Kaspersky
Kaspersky so rigidly installs itself to the system that to remove it by the normal way is extremely difficult even for a specialist.
- Dr.Web greatly restricts the rights of the computer user.
I remember that after the next antivirus database update computer stopped working with the external network because antivirus has removed system network drivers recognizing them like computer viruses.
- Corporate Symantec at the office from time to time not catched some viruses. Installed on the server in the domain, by own inaction, it allowed to infect not only the server, but also all of the LAN clients connected to the same domain.
- The funniest situation are two antivirus on the same computer. They can not tolerate each other, due to the presence of two antivirus in the system, computer is just going crazy, slows down and refuses to work, and to restore normal operation of the computer is better to reinstall the system.
During my work with antivirus I saw them more minuses than pluses and realized that the best anti-virus is the your knowledge and ability to safely operate with a computer:
- all antivirus programs are useless against new viruses. At the beginning, virus is born and can infect everything and everyone, because there are no records in the antivirus databases about it, and only after some time it will recognized like a virus by the specialist and will be applied to blacklists.
- antivirus consume RAM memory of device and not so small part of RAM.
- By default most antivirus programs are checking files "on the fly", ie all the files that you work are checked by antivirus. As a result, because of the antivirus your work with files slows down.
- you wasting your time and money for the antivirus - periodically you need to update antivirus database and to purchase a licenses of the product.
- And persecution, their updates and constant presence in the system, they scare me, looks like they watching me, and may be antivirus developers in cahoots with the developers of viruses. It's a joke :)
In this article, I describe a situation when we are working on a standalone computer without access to the Internet and without local network. Thus, in a standalone system, virus penetration is only possible from the plugged in a removable device such as a USB flash drive.
There are several scenarios when you connect a removable storage device to your computer:
- when an infected USB flash drive is inserted into a computer virus automatically "jumps" to the computer.
- on a removable device infected are one or more files. They do not automatically penetrate your system till you do not click them
How to protect your computere from viruses on the flash drive:
- To protect system from the virus that automatically "jumps" to you it's enough to disable one service "Shell Hardware Detection". We are going to the Start -> Control Panel -> Administration -> Services or run in the command line services.msc. Service must not only be stopped, but also need to be disabled in the startup type, so after reboot it will not activate. This service is responsible for auto play of the content on a removable media.
- You should see all the files stored on the flash drive. To do this, you need to be able to see all files marked like system files, hidden files, as well as the full name of the files with their extensions. Instead of the usual Windows Explorer is better to use software like Total Commander. Sometimes viruses are doing next when a folder or file are present on the flash drive, the virus makes them hidden and yourself visible and takes to itself a similar name like hidden files. When the owner opens the flash drive he recognizes by name your files, but if you look at them extensions you will see that the are ending with EXE extensions, ie they are executable virus.
- Do not open files that was not checked. Viruses can be not only in executable EXE files, but also attached to JPG images, or documents Word DOC and has other extensions. When you run an infected file you start to execute virus attached to the file. To avoid this, do not open files by pressing Enter or double-click. But EXE executable files sooner or later you need to run, so not checked EXE will still need to either check or believe in their safety. If you need to open files JPG, DOC, use the built-in Total Commander editors.
Key F3 or F4 in the Total Commander let you to read files without need to open in main programs like Microsoft Word or ACDSee.
You should know, not all files could be read by Total Commander editors, this is depend on your configuration.
Described in the article methods are a part of whole set that lets to keep computere in safe. Whole set include knowledge, the right system configuration and using of usefull programs.
Anti-virus have to work not on the computer, but in your head!